Optical Character Recognition—also known as OCR—is the conversion of handwritten or printed characters into machine-encoded text.
What Can OCR Do for You?
- Identify text from documents, photos and other images
- Convert scanned documents, photos and other images into editable digital format
- Greatly increase overall efficiency
Use case examples:
- Recognize vehicle license number plates
- Convert estimates and invoices to text to generate business reports
- Extract data from receipts
Case in point: our innovative license plate recognition system provides an opportunity to efficiently grant vehicle owners access to the corporate parking lot.
Click here for more information on our license plate recognition project.
Challenges Associated with OCR
Going it alone can be tough. Let’s take a look:
- When working with typewritten documents, there are difficulties associated with document structure, location of elements and scan quality
- Often, there is a need to write custom algorithms to achieve accuracy, depending on the subject area and document type
- Sometimes additional processing is required—for example, adjusting brightness, sharpness or contrast
- Handwritten character recognition offers its own challenges—challenges that often require a custom solution
Let us do the heavy lifting:
- We primarily utilize Tesseract OCR with pre-processing of a document via OpenCV
- We utilize ABBYY Cloud SDK
Not only can we develop a blazing fast OCR algorithm for you, we can also build for mobile, desktop or Web, utilizing your new custom algorithm as the core.
Need to know more? Drop us a line and we will get back to you shortly.